Sunday, February 3, 2008

Book Events for "Exposed" author Mark Schapiro

Exposed: The Toxic Chemistry of Everyday Products and What's At Stake for American Power by Mark Schapiro
This is the book that literally changed how I approach chemicals I come across in my everyday life. Although I have been very careful about only buying organic and locally grown food, not using cleaning products, paint and other household products that contain synthetic chemicals, it wasn't until I read this book that I realized how far behind the U.S. is when it comes to monitoring chemicals in all consumer products. After I finished the book, I immediately removed all the personal care products from my bathroom that contained parabens, dyes and other synthetic ingredients and immediately replaced them with ones that are organic or made with non-toxic ingredients. Our bodies absorb up to 70% of what we put on our skin. The remaining 30% is washed down to drain and goes into our waters. Several synthetic chemicals have been linked to damage to the endocrine and reproductive systems, as well as to the liver and kidneys. After reading this book, I knew I had to take matters into my own hands since the FDA certainly isn't the watchdog we all think they are or should be. To learn more about this, there are two upcoming author events in the SF Bay Area (I'll be at the one in San Rafael):
Saturday, February 9, 2008, 3:00 pm
Talk and book signing
Elephant Pharmacy
909 Grand Ave. at 3rd Street San Rafael, CA 94901
Store phone 415.462.6000


February 23, 2008, 4:00 pm
Talk and book signing
Elephant Pharmacy
1607 Shattuck Ave. at Cedar Berkeley, CA 94709
Store phone 510.549.9200

Visit
http://www.elephantpharm.com/ to learn more on the events.

Go to: http://www.chelseagreen.com/2007/items/exposed
for more information on the book


No comments: